CFS Fitness & Weight Loss Camp on Twitter!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

3 ... 2 ... 1 ... Happy New Year!!! Okay what's your resolution?


3 ... 2 ... 1 ... Happy New Year!!!  Okay what's your resolution?

It's resolution season, which means the gyms will be crowded until about Valentine's Day!  It also means that many of you receiving this email will re-commit to your fitness goals.  It always seems like a great idea.  The timing is right because a new year feels like a new start -- a clean slate, so to speak.  The problem is that statistically, people don't tend to make the resolutions stick.  This is where I come in!

A few days ago, I came up with an idea to make those resolutions more than just something to say at Midnight with a Champagne glass in your hand!  After all, we can't expect anything different to happen unless we do something different.

I want to create an accountability group.  Nobody HAS to participate, but I would encourage everyone reading this blog to get involved.  We can even involve other people.  There's no cost to participate, and everyone is welcome, regardless of their relationship to Core.

I'm still kind of creating the details, but I wanted to at least introduce the concept as early in the year as possible.  Here's what I have so far:

Start by sending me your main long-term goal.  It doesn't matter what "long-term" means to you.  It could be a year ... it could be 6 months ... it could be 6 weeks.  Whatever your goal and time frame, send it over to me.  Also included should be a rough-draft of your game plan, which will break your main goal up into manageable pieces.  Finally, send me the goals that you will commit to achieving this week.  These goals can be performance goals (such as I will eat at least 3 servings of veggies every day this week) or result goals (I will weigh xxx by xxx - be careful with these because the body works in strange ways sometimes, so I would maybe set these on a monthly basis and use performance goals for the weekly goals).  Make sure to state it in a “how much by when” format, so that anyone could show up on the specified date and see whether you made it or not.

On Friday of each week, it will be time to face the music.  Check in with an email and let me know how you did, any insights you may have picked up, as well as any tweaks you'd make in retrospect.  Next, I'll expect you to brag on yourself a little.  This part is required.  Some people will have no trouble bragging about themselves (you know who you are!), but I suspect this will be challenging for the majority of you.  Tell me what you did well.  Let me know what you did that maybe surprised you.  Finally, list out the weekly goals you're committing to for the following week.

Warning! Full disclosure alert!
Anything you send to me is subject to be shared with the entire group.  If you are not willing to share it with everybody, don't send it to me!  I may be inclined to make an occasional exception, but the power of this project is that we'll use peer pressure in a good way!  So, if you don't want people in your business, don't participate!

I am looking for support from everybody.  Whether or not you decide to share your goals, I’d like everybody’s help in providing congratulations and words of encouragement for those who are putting themselves on the line.  You can send messages to individuals, groups, or the entire group.  Anything goes (except negativity). 

Get your overall goal and your weekly commitments to me by Friday.  I’ll send out updates and highlights in the weekly email.
And of course, as always, don’t forget the conference call this and every Thursday at 5:40 PM (Eastern Time Zone).

Calling in is simple.

Dial 219-862-1300
Then, when prompted dial 808762

1 comment:

  1. Group Accountability is Great. Other accountability ideas.

    Reciprocal accountability: e.g., if you have a training partner, switch gym bags, than your partner suffers is you blow off a training session. This is great for people who care more about others than themselves.

    Negative accountability: e.g., if you fail on a goal, you have to give something to someone you don't like. This is great for people who's hate is stronger than their love.

    My goals (feel free to share):
    * Get my weight down to 165 by April 4th
    * Beast (106lb kettlebell) press
    * Average 10 workouts/week
    * Find a full time computer job

    Take care, Faizal

    ReplyDelete